Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Crazy Collecter

Among those who are crazy collecting military-style plastic model kits, I think I'm among the front rows because I've been fascinated by them for over 20 years. It started from collecting warplanes, then tanks, then combat vehicles, battleships and military figures of all scales.

As for warplanes, there are many scales on sale in the market, from 1:144 (smallest), 1:72, 1:48, 1:32, to 1:24 (largest). But the scale that's deemed to be standard scale for warplanes is 1:72 (B-52 of this scale has a wingspan of 80 cm. already).

As for tanks and combat vehicles, there are many scales too, i.e., 1:72, 1:48, 1:35 and 1:16. But the standard scale for tanks and combat vehicles is 1:35.
As for warships, generally there are two main scales i.e., 1:700 and 1:350. The standard scale, I think, should be 1:350 (USS Enterprise Aircraft Carrier of this scale is 100.5 cm long already).

As for military figures, there are many scales too, i.e., 1:72, 1:48, 1:35 and 1:16 - same as tanks and combat vehicles, and standard scale is 1:35 too.
Models of first quality are the "Tamiya" brand of Japan, followed by "Itateri" of Italy, "Dragon" of Hong Kong. "AFV" of Taiwan, and "Academy" of Korea. Models of worst quality are old models from "Revell/Monogram" of USA. Anyway, their recently-released models have improved in quality.

At present time, models are very expensive. A 1:35 tank, just 6-7 inches in length can cost near or over USD 27, so I spent a lot of money on them.
One of my problems is that I have run out of space to keep my models. My 4x4 m. bed room is filled with some 20 showcases, big and small, and there is no more space to place another one. But I still have over 100 boxes unassembled (from a total of around 1,000 types/boxes in my possession). Where to put them after assembling remains a question.

Additional Data: From Purchase Record Book, as of today (3 November 2010) I have bought 234 Aircrafts, 50 Warships and 717 Combat Vehicles/Figures, making a total of 1,001 types/boxes. The model # 1001 which was bought just today is the largest and most expensive tank/model ever bought. It's a TIGER I 1:15 from Bandai.

No comments:

Post a Comment